This 1913 neo-baroque building was erected by Dietlof Graf von Arnim, whose objective was to provide apartments (on the upper floor and side wing) for the castle’s senior employees, as well as offices for the Count’s forestry administration. Previously located here were the ‘bleaching grounds’ for the nearby washhouse of the castle.
The left wing of the building was reserved for long-time forester Curt Schmidt and Walter Schwebke, the chief accountant of the Count’s forestry operation.The right wing was rented to master fisherman Erich Mangelsdorf. The upper floor was occupied by several employees of the forestry administration and the attic by a rotation of eleven* interns and service personnel. On the first floor were the offices of the forestry service and the cashier.
Shortly before the invasion of the Red Army in 1945, the inhabitants of the house set off on a “journey” towards the West. Only the fisherman Mangelsdorf remained in his apartment. In the first years following the war, many refugees and displaced persons found housing in the building.
Copyright © 2021 | Architekturspaziergang.de | Impressum und Datenschutz