Gardeners' Lodge

Templiner street 14

The Boitzenburg gardener’s lodge appears for the first time in 1780, in the blueprints for the High Nobleman Baron von Arnim’s castle and gardens at Boitzenburg, although the hand-worked oak trusses of the lower half of the building could well be even older.

The upper part of the timbering dates from around 1880, as do the rose crosses at the ridges and the decorative elements of the windows, balconies and below the ridges. The slate roofing, atypical for the Uckermark, also dates from this time. The enlargement and redesign of the house was inspired by impressions gathered by Count von Arnim on his travels through Norway and Switzerland.

The gardener’s lodge was part of the inner castle district, and is surrounded by a brick wall, remains of which can still be seen on both sides of the street’s gable. The building was intended as a residence for the castle’s gardener as well as for his assistants and apprentices

During the nineteenth century the title of „garden director“ was also common. The house would at times be leased out by the count’s family, complete with the lodge and corresponding gardens. In a small shop in the center of the village, fruit and vegetables were also sold to those ‘outside the property’.

The use of the house towards the end of the war and shortly after is a reflection of the turmoil of the times. Many refugee families found shelter here and new settlers a place to rebuild their lives.

At the end of the 1960s, the house was threatened with demolition due to the dilapidated state of the street gable, and emergency repair measures were taken. In 1979, the building was completely renovated and added to the list of historical monuments in the Templin district, and the gardener’s lodge was extensively restored between the years of 1993 and 2005.

Advertisement from 17.09.1859